Application Items for the 2020 Academic Year International Master of Science Program in Imaging and Light in Extended Reality
1. Program Overview and Purpose
The International Master of Science Program in Imaging and Light in Extended Reality (IMLEX: Imaging and Light in Extended Reality) is two year (two and a half years in Japan) graduate level program is a revolutionary interdisciplinary program bringing together fundamental information technologies such as imaging, lighting and computer rendering, that is being provided to foster professionals able to create and manipulate cross-reality technology (also called, extended reality or XR) that extends the knowledge, experience and capabilities of human beings.
The IMLEX degree is being implemented by a consortium of four universities: Toyohashi University of Technology (Japan), Eastern Finland (Finland) KU Leuven (Belgium) and University Jean Monnet Saint-Etienne (France). There is also associate partnership from Utsunomiya University and Chiba University as well as international industrial cooperation in the program from industry partners of leading Japanese and European firms.
The following three universities are included.
- Toyohashi University of Technology (Department of Computer Science and Engineering)
- University of Eastern Finland (School of Computing)
- KU Leuven (Faculty of Engineering Technology), and University Jean Monnet Saint-Etienne (Faculty of Science and Technology)
3. Awarded Degrees
A degree will be granted by three of the following universities.
- Master of Enginerring from Toyohashi University of Technology
- Master of Science from University of Eastern Finland
- Erasmus Mundus Japan － Master of Science in Imaging and Light in Extended Reality from KU Leuven or Master Optics, Image, Vision and Multimedia from University Jean Monnet Saint-Etienne
4. Available Openings
Desire to participate in the program and a person for whom entrance to the Toyohashi University of Technology Graduate Shool of Engineering Master's Degree Course (entrance in April) has been determined.
6. Program Start (Entrance) and End (Completion) Period
April 2020 to September 2022
7. Period Spent at International Universities
September 2020 to June 2021
(July to September 2021 and April to August 2022 may also be at a consortium or international partner corporation.)
8. Universities Entrance Approval
Applicants for the IMLEX program are recommended to the consortium after local selection by the local university. After review by the consortium (based on documents, etc.) the applicant will be granted program student status. To be part of the international consortium universities requires studying a certain amount of credits each academic term.
9. Program Completion Requirements
The completion requirements for the university are attendance for two and a half years (excluding vacation periods) or more, and receiving 30 credits (of which 10 credits are courses accepted by the local university for credit studied at international universities). Each international university has curriculm designated by the consortium (see the separate attachment) for study, and the student must complete 120 ECTS (including Master's Thesis 30 ECTS).
10. Master's Program Thesis
One Master's Thesis must be authored in English according to the regulations of the local university and the consortium.